Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Day Never to Be Forgotten

Happier Days for the Wilkerson's
Photo taken in 1995 or 1996 I believe, at a Deaton family reunion in Glassy Mountain, Greenville County, South Carolina where some of our Deaton relatives are buried.

Early on the morning of March 27, 2009, I awakened from a dream only to have a nightmare!

The phone was ringing, and in my sleepiness, I wondered "Who on earth is calling so early?"
It was my son, Eric. In a voice full of incredible unbelief, he said, "Mom, Aunt Cindy is dead!" It took me a moment to comprehend what he had just said. But now I was fully awake!

I, like him, couldn't believe it, so I asked in rapid fire succession, "Are you sure? What happened? Who told you? Are they sure she is dead?" Still, I held on to hope! Hope that it might not be true, hope that when they got her to the emergency room that she could be revived, hope that my older sister was not truly gone from us so soon! Hope.
He then explained about Bonnie calling him...how she didn't have my new phone number, so she had called him...and the other details as we know occurred that fateful day.

It has been a year today. I still can not always accept it. I still find myself wishing I could share this or that with her...my trip to London & France, the birth of a new grand baby girl, the baptism of my 1st Granddaughter, help with writing the history of our Father, or just simply to hear the sound of her voice, the list goes on and on.

However, I am so grateful that I had just spoken to her on the phone the Wednesday before she died. She had told me of the wonderful visit with her family, the fun she had had with her grandchildren, and how much she loved her family! She was truly happy, content and fulfilled! Those were her last thoughts to me, her sister. Those were the lingering, savored feelings in her heart, I am sure of it!

That day...March 27th...I felt the overwhelming angst of losing a loved one. But, something miraculous happened to me later that same, awful day...a ray of hope! As I was driving, I had the knowledge flood into me that Cindy was happy! I don't know if her spirit communicated that to me, or if it was the Holy Ghost, but I felt peacefully calm, and then happy myself! My burden lifted and I was comforted. I am grateful for that feeling of peace that came in my hour of need.

This photo taken of us three daughters after the funeral luncheon for our Mother just a little over the year before Cindy's passing. Little did we all know that it would be the last one ever taken of us all together.

A sombre day for the three Wilkerson girls left behind.
However, HOPE springs eternal!
How grateful I am that on this week before Easter, and as we commemorate that great day of Resurrection, my heart swells with thanksgiving for the Plan of Happiness! Death is not the end! As President Monson wrote, "Death, a New Chapter of Life!" We will be reunited, of this I am sure! Then will we see how radiantly beautiful and happy Cynthia is, and our glorious parents, Ben and Lillie! How thrilled I am to anticipate that day of glad reunion!

















4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings about that day! I'm so grateful to have had such a wonderful loving mother. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes, the first of many this day. I Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Aunt Breta, Thank you for the beautiful post about my Mother! It was a horrific day! But, as much as I long to talk to her, to hug her, I wouldn't wish her back in this world. I KNOW she is happy in the spirit world, with her loving parents and free from pain. I am so blessed to have one of the choicest of Mothers!! I love you and look forward to seeing you in 2 weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a touching post mom. I love you.

    ReplyDelete