On Tuesday, September 8th, while Rachel was working, and deciding to take advantage of the day to myself, I went very early in the morning to visit the
Herbert Hoover Presidential Library in West Branch, Iowa, just a few miles down a local highway from where Rachel and Nathan live. I devoted the little time I had that morning to touring the Library displays. My time was limited because I had a lunch date with Jeanna, Angela's sister, so I only stayed an hour at the Presidential Library.
Jeanna lives in a suburb of Cedar Rapids. We went to lunch with her sweet baby in tote, to
The Irish Democrat, a delicious little Irish pub-like restaurant. We enjoyed our time together and I was able to see Jeanna's beautiful new home. Much to my disbelief after driving back to Iowa City, I realized that neither of us had taken one photo! So I am sorry to say, I have no photo to share with you all!
On my way back to Iowa City, I recognized that I had several hours before Nathan or Rachel would be home, so I drove back out to Herbert Hoover's library and spent two hours visiting the grounds. I thought the view of the grounds from the grave markers was simply beautiful, peaceful and so restful. It is a proper resting place for a former President of the United States of America.
I also saw the home he was born in, a Quaker meeting house where he and his family worshipped, the blacksmith shop where his father practiced shoeing horses, and other interesting buildings of the period.
Wednesday morning, Rachel and I left for our trip down to Nauvoo, Illinois, where the Mormon Saints built a beautiful city prior to the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith. On the way there we stopped at
Old Fort Madison, IA, where we saw this riverboat moored. I guess it is a place where people go to gamble.
The Old Fort was built in 1808 and is a reconstructed outpost on frontier America. We enjoyed spending some time walking about seeing the enlisted men's quarters, trading post, having a chit-chat with the cite manager including a musket firing demonstration.
Once on our way again, we were only a few miles from
Nauvoo. Imagine how thrilled I was to see the beautifully reconstructed Nauvoo Temple! I have not been there since I was a young girl. It was indeed impressive, and I found myself silently thanking President Gordon B. Hinckley for his foresight!
One of the first things Rachel and I did was to go to the Land and Records Office where we researched those of my lineage who lived and died in Nauvoo. We were able to create a CD and I will make copies of it as soon as I get back home for anyone who wants one! After we researched where many relatives had lands, we drove around with a map trying to locate as near as possible where some of them had lived. This is a very interesting placard on one of the cabins we saw.

And this is a picture of the cabin.
Knowing that some of our relatives were buried in Nauvoo, Rachel and I drove out to the old Nauvoo Cemetery; this place is VERY hidden from view. Unfortunately, not all of the old graves are marked, and some that are, the inscriptions are illegible. The cemetery is like a sacred grove, very still, peaceful, and I feel, very sacred. I am glad the saints in this cemetery finally found rest to their weary bodies and souls.
We also visited the grave sites of Joseph Smith, his wife, Emma, and his brother Hyrum. On the tour conducted by the Community of Christ Church (because they own the property) we were told the story of how the bodies of the brothers had been located and moved to the present location. Also buried in the same cemetery are Joseph's parents.

One of the best stops Rachel and I had was at the 70's Hall! It is a grand old reconstructed building, and we were fortunate to have our picture taken standing behind the pulpit.

On Thursday, we drove down the Trail of Hope to the place the saints crossed the mighty Mississippi as they began the exodus from Nauvoo. I was moved by sadness as I stood overlooking the broad river realizing what the saints must have felt as they turned to say "Goodbye" to the beautiful city they had built and especially the temple. It was a somber time to reflect on how grateful I am for their selfless sacrifice.
The journey continues, but I must wait until another time to continue to post the remainder of our trip to Carthage Jail.
I'm glad I was able to take you to all the sites. Thanks for visiting mom. It was a lot of fun.
ReplyDeleteI am jealous! The Nauvoo cemetery looks beautiful! I can't believe you found a cabin built by John Workman! It looks like you had a great time!
ReplyDeleteI loved our trip there. I am already wanting to go back again. I am glad you had such a good time. Such neat places to visit!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you had a fun trip. Keep up the blogging!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great trip!!!
ReplyDelete